Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Puddle of Sweat

After my warm-up of two rounds of 50-75 rope skips, 10 overhead squats, 20 overhead walking lunges, 10 pushups, and 10 sit-ups; I did my WOD.

Today's WOD consisted of:

- Dumbbell Bench Press @ 40% bodyweight [40 lbs each] (modified from 75% since the dumbbells don't go that high together and my lifting isn't that great yet).
- 500 meter row on Concept-2-Rower (damper set on 5 based on bodyweight).

5 rounds for time total.

Total time: 20:43

I should technically shave off about 30-60 seconds due to the prep time to get the dumbbells off the stand and to put them back gently (not allowed to just drop them on the ground). But, it forced me to use my abs and back muscles to get up from the bench with the weights in my hands and put the weights back in the stand each round.

Getting that last one in was the most difficult. In the beginning, I started at the 35 lbs dumbbell setting and then increased to 40 lbs on two rounds, then 45 lbs. On the final, I cranked it to the max of 52.5 lbs but could only maintain my form for 4 reps and had to reset to 45 lbs, then to 40 lbs to finish. The rowing maintained around 2:09-2:13/500m.

When I was done, I was in a puddle of my own sweaty slop. During the 5th and final round, I was on the fringe of feeling the evil thing known as pukie. Thank goodness I was able to hold it together and the feeling went away once my heart rate went down.

And the nice thing about workouts like that or a long/hard run where you've just pounded your body is that the meal you eat tastes even better than before.

Looking forward to getting home for some light dinner and then running with the group at 6pm.

Update: 6 miles done in 1:08:56. Hot (87° F) and humid and affecting my stomach slightly. Doing well for 5 miles and then had to walk/run the last one. Sweating like a whore in church, but feeling accomplished.

No comments: