Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My future in running and my new future running buddy

So, I decided to bail on doing the YT50K over at Cedar River. But everything happens for a reason and the reason this time was a good one. We have a new member of the family now, a puggle we've named Daisy. Hopefully, her beagle side will be the thing that will want to run with me. :-)

Here's some of her cuteness...



Daisy!

And more here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89731873@N00/tags/daisy/

In regards to my training, I've changed things up a bit. The problem was part burnout doing two-a-days and being on the treadmill. Another problem was the frequency of the runs. I can be a morning person, but I have to ease into it.

So this is what I've come up with for a workout pattern for now that I'll probably stick with till the summer. By the time the weather is more favorable and my mileage is higher and more comfortable as my base, I'll add more running days/times.

Monday:
AM - No running, commuting to work via cycling (3+ miles)
Lunch - Strength Training & Core; Yoga for stretching
PM - No running, commuting to home via cycling (3+ miles),
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Tuesday:
AM - 6-10 mile run @ easy pace, commuting to work via cycling (3+ miles)*
Lunch - Elliptical, Spinning, or Rowing machine work; Yoga for stretching
PM - No running, commuting to home via cycling (3+ miles)*
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Wednesday:
AM - No running, commuting to work via cycling (3+ miles)
Lunch - Strength Training & Core; Yoga for stretching
PM - No running, commuting to home via cycling (3+ miles)
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Thursday:
AM - 6-10 mile run w/middle miles at tempo pace, commuting to work via cycling (3+ miles)*
Lunch - Elliptical, Spinning, or Rowing machine work; Yoga for stretching
PM - No running, commuting to home via cycling (3+ miles)*
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Friday:
AM - 4-6 mile easy/recovery run or no running, commuting to work via cycling (3+ miles)*
Lunch - Strength Training & Core; Yoga for stretching
PM - No running, commuting to home via cycling (3+ miles)*
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Saturday:
AM - Rest day (although it could be a long run depending on what's going on for the week and whether I can get to certain trails or race events)
PM - Yoga streching and some recovery walking
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

Sunday:
AM - Long Run of 12-35 miles/2-12 hrs (possible rest day if the long run was done on Saturday)
PM - Yoga streching and some recovery walking
Bedtime - Yoga for stretching

The days with asterisks will eventually be where I will just run for part of my work commute and be without use of the bike. This would increase the number of miles covered in a day. I'm hoping to eventually have toughened up enough to where I can do a run into the office once in awhile as a substitute for a long run on a weekend. I work almost a marathon distance away from home and there is a set of trails that will get me there before I would have to run on sidewalks.

And so far, so good. I've done the last 32 hours successfully with Monday going through flawlessly and this mornings run feeling pretty good, even though I could only cover 5 miles this morning after taking Daisy out for her morning potty. I'll have to make sure when the alarm goes off at 5:30am, I have to jump into action immediately and not be so slow and start my run later than I should have.

2 comments:

Olga said...

The puppy is precious!
You think I am a morning person? Grr..I got this down to a science now:)

shawn said...

Aaahhh...Daisy is a cutie. I'm sure she will be a great running partner. If not, remember ... happiness is a warm puppy - not sure where I heard that recently ;)

I'm really impressed with your schedule. Shoot, if I've worked out in the morning, then there is no way I am doing any additional exercise later in the day. And even if I don't work out in the morning, I'm still a lazy sob all day.

Way to train!